Monday, May 14, 2012

Thoughts on 13 years

Today is a special day.  It marks 13 years since I started this journey called marriage.  It certainly hasn't been a bed of roses!  We've been through a lot together in the last 13 years and probably moved just as many times.  Oh what wanderers are we.
I could probably sit here and list all the bad things we've dealt with, and fights we've had, and blah, blah, blah.  But I'm not going to do that.  Instead, I want to take a verse from my favorite book of the Bible (this week) and share from there.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things.  Philippians 4:8

True:  His love is true...and he tells the truth.  Even when it hurts!
Honorable:  He honors me and our family by going to work every day (sometimes to a job he doesn't really like) and taking care of us.
Just:  The dictionary says this means guided by truth.  He seeks every day to be guided by The Way, The Truth, and The Life.
Pure:  He works hard at staying pure in this world that doesn't make it easy!
Lovely:  Ok, guys may not like being referred to as lovely, but this term connotates an inner character trait.  He's got character - moral and spiritual handsomeness (I'll use that word instead of beauty)  :)
Commendable:  Yeah, this guy is commendable just for putting up with me!  Seriously, he is worthy of my trust and respect.  Our girls regard him as if he hung the moon!  I realize he didn't, but it doesn't make me love him any less.
Excellence:  He strives for a spirit of excellence.  If we're going to do something, let's do it right!
Worthy of Praise:  He's a dreamer.  That's what I am praising God for about him today.  Daring to dream that God will answer our stance of faith.

One of my favorite songs is Andrew Peterson's "Dancing in the Mine Fields."  It is such a great reminder of the promises of God and the promises we made to each other all those years ago.  Here's a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Gs3fg_WsEg&ob=av3n


So that's what I'm thinking about today.  Has it all been good?  No.  Does it get on my nerves when he does embarrassing things?  Yes.  Do I sometimes want to strangle him to an inch of his life?  I choose not to answer that question.  But I wouldn't trade the last 13 years and our 2 beautiful daughters for anything.  And as we step into the future and the new things God has for us, I am glad we have a great foundation and a great love for each other.

I Love You, Nick!  Happy Anniversary!

No comments:

Post a Comment